Today’s Interview Roulette player is Andrea Speed!
- What is the strangest food you like to eat? Candy corn. Look, I know it’s a garbage candy. I know! I still kind of like it. It’s like eating sweetened candle wax.
- One of your characters has just been arrested and calls you to bail him out. Who is it and what did he get busted for? Holden. But he only got resisting arrest thrown at him, a worthless charge, because he pissed off the arresting officer with his sass mouth. He’s done much worse, but they can’t prove it, and nobody’s forcing anything out of him. Frankly, most of the other inmates would rather see him free. His reputation precedes him.
- Describe an annoying habit one of your characters has. Roan used to bite his fingernails. He still does occasionally. He won’t admit it, and if you called him on it he’d probably deny it, but he does.
- You’ve been invited to a party being held by your boss. Which of your characters will you take with you as your guest? Paris. He can charm everyone and be the center of attention, while I lurk in a corner, eating all their food.
- What were your favorite childhood books? This is going to be weird and make no sense, but for a while when I was young, I was really into animal books – White Fang, Black Beauty, Call of the Wild, et cetera. I was also really into Edgar Allan Poe. You might think The Raven was the crossover point, but no. I can’t really explain it.
- Describe one time someone surprised you. If you knew what a horrible memory I have … I think learning I won a Rainbow Award was such a surprise I actually considered that maybe it was a prank for a moment.
- If you could make anything edible, what would you choose? Anything? Edible books would be great. Read them; eat them.
Book blurb: Kaede Hiyashi is sick and tired of living in the shadow of his father, supervillain Doctor Terror. Brilliant but crazy, Doctor Terror sends his son to Corwyn, California, for reasons Kaede can’t imagine. Sent to accompany and protect him is Ash, a genetically modified supersoldier raised and trained by an infamous death cult.
Corwyn is lousy with superheroes, led by the obnoxious Dark Justice. Kaede finds himself dancing around Dark Justice as he digs into his father’s mysterious business and teaches his socially awkward—but physically lethal—bodyguard to acclimate to “normal” life. Can these two wacky supervillains figure out what Doctor Terror wants them to do, solve the riddle of the villain known as Black Hand, and keep Dark Justice from raining on their bloody parade? The course of love—and world domination—never did run smooth.
Author bio: Andrea Speed is a random collection of newspapers and food scraps that somehow became sentient. Perhaps this explains her fear of goats. If you see her, just nod politely as she tells you how composting is an Illuminati conspiracy, and try not to make any sudden moves.