This week Soren Summers is playing with us!
- Write a story—no more than 100 words–based on this prompt: When the levee failed…. When the levee failed to give Eirich the satisfaction of murdering the Glass Empress, it made the toymaker furious. Nobody told him that the brittle young monarch conducted royal levees from behind the safety of a silver curtain. Spell-spun metal, no doubt. Eirich fingers his contraption carefully, the very reason he was granted the audience: a brass bird that sings, then fires a bullet out of its beak. Certainly not enough to pierce enchanted metal. No, the next time, he will have to be less subtle. The next time, perhaps, a mechanical bear with a cannon up its arse.
- If you were magically transported into one of your own books, which one would you choose and why? Smolder, if only because it’s the least dangerous or depressing of them all, which is still saying a lot. The books in my main series feature many more ways to die, whereas the threats in Smolder aren’t quite as in-your-face, eats-your-entrails lethal.
- Cats or dogs? Discuss. This is the most difficult question in this interview. They both have compelling qualities. Cats are so low maintenance, and dogs have boundless reserves of unconditional love. Being an incredibly lazy human being I’ll have to say that cats win out by just a hair.
- If you could instantly learn another language, which would you choose and why?Mandarin, hands down. Such a fiery language, and so useful for conducting business. If it’s just to show off, though, I’d go with either French or Portuguese. They just sound so fancy and musical.
- What is your favorite time of day? The night. Any time after midnight, especially, is so precious to me. The world is asleep and I have all my thoughts to myself, all the space and the silence I need to do what needs to be done: waste time on the internet. Wait, I meant write. Of course I meant write. Haha, ha.
- If you were to write fanfic (or maybe you already have!) which fandom(s) would it be?Yes, I’ve totally written fanfic, specifically in the A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones fandom. George R.R. Martin is so notoriously unhappy with the concept of it, too. I have to say that reading and writing fanfic was pretty good practice before wading into M/M romance. As I was discussing with a friend, they share so many tropes and features, too, so moving in either direction – fanfic to M/M or vice versa – can be seamless and extremely enjoyable.
- What were your favorite books when you were a teenager? Those choose-your-own-adventure dice-rolling game books from the 80s! My favorite was the Blood Sword series by Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson, which successfully blends various world mythologies with fantasy. Just an incredible setting all around. I also loved Joe Dever and Ian Page’s Grey Star the Wizard series, which shaped my love of throwing cute boys with incredible willpower and/or superpowers into extremely harrowing and depressing situations.
The sighting of the second flare has kindled new hope in what’s left of humanity. Perhaps there are other survivors outside the Hive. Maybe it’s the military, finally come to save Pleasance from the horrors of Paragon. But neither flares nor optimism can erase the colony’s bleak realities.
Supplies are dwindling. Food is low, medication running out, and the garden won’t ever grow enough to feed the Hive. And there’s the small matter of the water from the river drying up. The Hive needs a miracle, and fast.
With Gabriel Anderson at his side, Jarod Samuels seeks out the source of the flare and an antidote for the Hive’s plight. But some mysteries are best left unsolved, some secrets left undiscovered – especially when the answers hide deep in the heart of the colossus.
Book buy link:
After 15 years spent working in lifestyle journalism and public relations Soren Summers decided it was time to stop selling other people’s stories and start telling his own. He’s obsessed with writing about ordinary people struggling against overwhelming supernatural odds. Soren is based in Southern California, where he is currently growing both his written body of work and his hair.
Soren loves video games, staying home on the weekends, and geeky guys. He’s great with animals and has a soft spot for cats, dogs, and geeky guys. His favorite edibles are pizza, coffee, and geeky guys. His favorite shows are RuPaul’s Drag Race, Better Off Ted, and anything that has geeky guys in it. His friends say that he has a one-track mind, but they have no idea what they’re talking about.
- Website: http://www.sorensummers.com/
- Blog: http://www.sorensummers.com/news
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sorensummers
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SorenSummers
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other: https://www.goodreads.com/SorenSummers