First, the important facts: the second edition of Stasis is available now from DSP Publications! You can also get it from Amazon and all other major booksellers, in print and ebook versions.
Now for some details.
- This was the first novel I wrote. I wrote it for NaNoWriMo–National Novel Writing Month.
- It’s also the first in a trilogy. The second and third books will come out later this year.
- Although a relationship between the main characters–Ennek and Miner–is important, I wouldn’t characterize this as a romance. It’s really a dark fantasy.
- The setting is Praesidium, a city-state in an alternate universe where magic exists.
- That gorgeous cover is by Reese Dante.
- There’s a map inside. I love books with maps.
- We haven’t made huge changes from the first edition. There are some small things, but the major difference is that several rounds of editing have smoothed and polished the writing.
- I’m still donating all my royalties to Doctors Without Borders.
Now here’s the blurb:
Praesidium is the most prosperous city-state in the world, due not only to its location at the mouth of a great bay but also to its strict laws, stringently enforced. Ordinary criminals become bond-slaves, but the worst punishment—to be suspended in a dreamless frozen state known as Stasis—is doled out by the wizard and reserved for only the most serious of traitors.
Ennek is the youngest son of Praesidium’s strict Chief. Though now a successful portmaster, Ennek grew up without much of a purpose, unable to fulfill his true desires and always skating on the edge of the law. But he is also haunted by the plight of one man, Miner, a prisoner for whom Stasis appears to be a truly horrible fate. If Ennek is to save Miner, he must explore Praesidium’s deepest secrets as well as his own.
Want to know what Ennek and Miner look like? Catherine Dair made some lovely drawings.