20. Put your music player on shuffle and write the first 3 songs that play and what your initial thought is
I like my playlist. It’s… eclectic. I like it so much I’m going to list the first 5 songs instead. ‘Cause I’m a rebel. I’ve added YouTube links so you can enjoy too!
- “Celebrate the Riot” by Dubioza Kolektiv. This is a Bosnian group that plays an interesting mixture of rock, reggae, and punk. When I visited Sarajevo a few years ago, my guide told me about them. You can download their albums for free! They mostly sing in English, but I enjoy trying to understand the occasional Bosnian words too.
- “Autrefois” by Pink Martini. For some reason, I especially enjoy listening to music in other languages, and Pink Martini does songs in several. This particular song makes me feel like I should be sitting in a Parisian bar feeling angsty.
- “Natrag U Garažu” by Psihomodo Pop. This band is Croatian and plays pop punk. I discovered them during one of my stays in Zagreb. I think it might be about somebody getting drunk in a garage, but I’m not very confident in that translation.
- “Sloop John B” by the Beach Boys. I am a terrible singer, but when I’m alone I like to sing along with this one. Also on my playlist, I have Me First and the Gimme Gimmes singing the same song. Faster.
- “Lovely Loretta” by Chris Isaak. Chris Isaak is from Stockton, just up the road from me. I’ve seen him in concert twice–he does a great show. When I was walking out of the second concert, I hear some guy say to his wife, “He does Johnny Cash better than Johnny Cash.” He also does a mean Ray Orbison and Elvis, and I love his Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing.
I’m surprised no versions of “Hallelujah” came up. I have four. I think my favorite is Rufus Wainwright’s.